People - William Daniel (Dan) Oakes
Born: 24 August 1905 Garston, Liverpool, England. Died: 1 July 1942 Montevideo Maru.
Husband of Marion Lilian and father of George and Parker, Dan was a Methodist missionary on New Ireland/New Britain from 1933 to 1942.
See: William Daniel (Dan) Oakes's online memoir.
- 'Missionary martyrs are honoured at last', Journey, August 1988, 1988, p. 33.
- Barry Gordon, ''Martyrs' Plaque' finds new home in Centre for Ministry', Mission Review, July-September 1988, 1988, pp. 3-4.
- Letter from Gordon Thomas to Mrs Brawn [Letter]
Date: 24 February 1965 Source: George and Edna Oakes
- Letter from John L. May to Rev G.E. Johnson regarding Dan Oakes [Letter]
Date: 16 November 1945 Source: George Oakes
- New Guinea Civilians Previously Reported Missing Now Reported Lost at Sea [Government record]
Date: 1946 Source: Series A7030 Item 11; National Archives of Australia, National Office.
© George Oakes 2003
Dan Oakes with wife Marion, and son George in 1935
Pinikidu Mission House in 1936
Remains of Pinikidu Mission House in 2002
5 July 2002